My CLE with Claire Thomas of Safe Passage is live here, in which Claire and I help explain who unaccompanied minors are and the reasons for their migration to the U.S.,the immigration options that may be available for them, and the roles that attorneys can play in the process. As noted before, those interested in finding further resources on the topic or in donating their time may do so by contacting Safe Passage.
The recent changes in today’s way of life are not only a matter of how people conduct their own private life: it’s a major and more serious problem which affects the entire Nation.
So, in this perspective we can identify a few very basic problems that are causing evident consequences on the American society and economy: immigration and how immigrants can approach the American society.
Biggest Troubles For Immigrants
Immigrant represent a source of return for certain firms that are involved in the human traffic of immigrants from their native places to the US as well as to European Countries.
Now, it’s relevant to notice that the impact of immigrants on the American culture and society is crossed by numerous problems:
- Lack of job
- Unsustainable costs of life
- Racial issues
- Tendency to join or to form local criminal groups
- Social disorders
The American culture, which is naturally born from the idea of the social “melting pot”, can’t today accept more immigrants anymore. The government decisions of Donald Trump are, therefore, an understandable reaction to a massive immigration which often tends to slip out from the government’s authority.
The Economy And Trade Concern
As a consequence, such a large immigration flux with all the results on the social and economic grounds implies the need of restricting the current trade laws and to reinforce the idea of in-land manufacturing jobs that have been sent overseas during the latest decades.
This decision is expected to bring new life to many job places in the US that have been disappearing during the recent times. As a consequence, this should also attract the investors’ attention towards national companies and industries, rather on foreign ones.
Stocks And Other Investment Opportunities
As a matter of fact, numerous American investors today tend to focus on foreign companies and manufacturers in the automotive industry, real estate market and more.
The goal of Donald Trump’s government is to get the investors back to the investment opportunities of their own home-land.
Stocks and CFDs turn out to be the most traded types of digital financial goods – a fact that encourages more investors to seek online investment solutions instead of traditional bank investments.
Online Trading Solutions With Zurich Prime
Zurich Prime is, in this framework, one of the most outstanding broker companies in the internet. Zurich Prime owns offices in more than 40 Countries and it’s regulated and licensed in each of those places.
This Zurich Prime online trading review offers a pretty clear and practical overview on the company’s main services and benefits for the new traders.
Of course, at Zurich Prime traders can trade different assets from a large array of global financial markets, including Stocks, Commodities, Forex, CFDs and a few more.
In this regard, it’s worth to mention that Zurich Prime offers a good palette of tailored trading packages that are destined to different types of traders, on the base of the trader’s specific skills and competence, so that every new trader can find the ideal trading experience.
We all know that financial investments represent the engine which allows entre countries to keep up the economic development and international import and export activities.
US Economy From Yesterday To Present Day
For many years, the American economy has been one of the most growing and flourishing pools of profitable opportunities for investors of all skills, ages, and nationalities. Actually, the investments that were oriented to feed American industries were largely more consistent than the investments that are currently flowing to the US.
The fact is that with time the economic development achieved by the US has become to decrease to the point that today’s American economy doesn’t look anymore as the best investment perspective as it used to be in the past.
The OPIC’s Foreign Policy
Other countries that are now performing pretty well. Let’s take, for example, China, Korea and Kenya and a few developing Countries, as well. So, the US OPIC (Overseas Private Investment Corporation) is working in order to rationalize the investments that from the US are intended to reach and help overseas industries and markets.
- Basically, the OPIC activity consists in mobilizing private capitals to help solve major development problems and, as a result, to help national security grow and reinforce.
- The OPIC professionals also work to help national emerging markets gain a larger visibility and sales opportunities.
- In order to reach its goals, the OPIC provides American investors with financing, political risk insurance, and support for private equity investments
- The OPIC does also create financial projects that are meant to rationalize the national security and social environment
Online Financial Investments
The massive presence of numerous immigrants in the US tends to generate a climate of hostility inside the social environment, which is caused to several problems, such as:
- Social discriminations
- Social instability
- Racial issues
- Criminal facts
That’s why American investors are often encouraged to invest in national industries: their private capitals can be used by the OPIC to fight against US social disorders.
Although the work of the OPIC is very important, there are also investors who choose to become online traders. This means for them to access the global financial markets in an easy and intuitive way, just thanks to a treading platform and a trading account.
The FinMarket Trading Experience
In order to create a trading account (which is the material “door” which enables the investors to access the financial world), a broker is needed. FinMarket is in its industry one of the world’s best and most affordable brokers. The Finmarket trading broker company has offices in over 40 countries, being licensed in each of those places.
Moreover, FinMarket offers advanced trading systems and tools, including its trading platform. In particular, FinMarket employs a 3-version trading platform, available under the titles of:
- Meta Trader 4
- Mobile Trader
- Web Trader
Each of these versions is dedicated to specific trading needs and skills so that every trader can find the ideal trading tool to use.
Following my afternoon training with Claire Thomas on Representing Unaccompanied Children in Immigration Court, I will be co-moderating the three-hour ethics training for the NY Chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association. Rebecca Sosa will be moderating a panel on issues facing new attorneys, Victoria Neilson will be leading the panel on current issues in asylum, and I’ll be focusing on disciplinary issues.
We’ve put together an all-star lineup, with Linda Kenepaske, Cyrus Mehta, Deborah Klahr (Supervisory Asylum Officer at the Newark Asylum Office), Prof. Dan Smulian, Jun Hwa Lee (Principal Staff Attorney at the Departmental Disciplinary Committee, First Judicial Department), Raluca Oncioiu (Director of the Immigration Legal Services Department of Catholic Charities Community Services, Archdiocese of NY and of the New Americans Hotline, and Sherry K. Cohen (former First Deputy Chief Counsel of the Departmental Disciplinary Committee).
The packed agenda will include:
- navigating common ethical pitfalls for new attorneys;
- best practices in setting up ethical practices for solo attorneys and small practices;
- ethical implications of filing certain applications to pursue relief in Immigration Court;
- ethical issues involved in representing minors, including dual representation of their parents;
- ethical duties to correct misrepresentations;
- ethical issues raised by prolonged backlogs at the Asylum Office and Immigration Courts;
- common complaints against attorneys and measures that attorneys can take to avoid complaints; and
- non attorney partnerships, supervision of employees, and other scenarios involving the unauthorized practice of law.
There will also be plenty of hypos and time for audience questions.
Attendance is free for NY AILA members and $75 for nonmembers, with reduced fees for instances of financial hardship.
Building off of my April 18th CLE with Claire Thomas on Representing Unaccompanied Children in Immigration Court, Rebecca McBride and I will be providing a training for attorneys on special issues to be aware of when working with immigrant youth on September 29th at Lawline. We’ll be discussing the various legal definitions of a “child”, special protections under U.S. immigration law for youth, recent efforts to expand protections for immigrant youth, barriers to effective representation, and we’ll be taking your questions. And for attorneys interested in finding resources on the topic or in donating your time, please visit Atlas DIY to learn more.
Thought I’d loop back and let anyone interested know on this topic that my CLE with Dorian Needham of Immigration Equality is available at Lawline over here. We (well, mostly Dorian) provide a little background and talk policy, ongoing issues, and case strategies. This one came out pretty well; those interested in the topic won’t be disappointed.
Claire Thomas and I are very excited to train attorneys on the emergent topic of Representing Unaccompanied Children in Immigration Court on April 18th at Lawline. For quick background information, see here and here. And for attorneys interested in finding resources on the topic or in donating your time, please visit Safe Passage to learn more.
Today, the Protecting Immigrant New Yorkers Task Force released its Resource Guide for Law Enforcement, Government & Advocates to Address Immigration Services Fraud. The Guide, a comprehensive initiative to combat immigration services fraud, has been a long time in the making, and I’m very proud to have served as co-editor. While focusing on New York State, it is intended to serve as a tool for use by law enforcement and governmental agencies, as well as community based organizations across the country. Rather than say more, please view the resource guide here, and read about the Task Force here.
Legal service providers (myself included), community based organizations, elected officials and law enforcement agencies are being inundated by phone calls by people terrified by the rumors and false stories being circulated by friends, family, scammers, and news media. To combat the misinformation I’ve compiled a list of 10 myths and suggestions to help people sift through the misinformation and to learn how to cope with situations in which they or their loved ones actually do find themselves in an encounter with ICE. Here we go:
- There are no confirmed raids occurring in New York State (or New Jersey, or the northeast generally).
- This is not to say that NO enforcement is being taken in New York—just that only STANDARD enforcement operations seem to be taking in New York at the moment.
- A telltale sign of a false rumor is the description of ICE vehicles. ICE does not generally use trucks or marked cars, except for those to transport detainees to court appearances and other places. The marked vehicles generally used by the Department of Homeland Security belong to the Federal Protective Service, which protects buildings, or CBP, which focuses on ports or entry (airports and the border), but NOT on interior enforcement. Arrests are usually conducted by individual ICE officers in unmarked cars.
- Another sign of a false story are the focus on “ICE raids.” ICE does not generally carry out “raids”. Current enforcement priorities do not focus on picking up as many people as possible; in fact, they are the opposite. The three enforcement priorities for ICE all focus on targeting individuals considered to be ‘fugitives’ or otherwise threats to public safety. It is possible that, during an enforcement action, a family members or other co-habitant of a targeted individual may be arrested as well, but only incidentally.
- Stories involving enforcement at schools or churches are very likely false. ICE policy generally prevents agents from arrest, questioning, or searching people in “sensitive locations” such as schools, churches, hospitals, funerals, weddings, public religious ceremonies, and public demonstrations—unless there is a threat involving national security, imminent harm, or terrorism.
- ICE is not picking targeting individuals simply because they are undocumented or out of status. The three ICE priorities focus on: individuals who are a threat to national security; people who were initially apprehended while trying to enter the U.S.; gang members; people convicted of felonies, other serious crimes, or multiple misdemeanors; people who have unlawfully entered the U.S. since 2014; people who have removal (deportation orders) since 2014; and people who have significantly abused the visa waiver program.
- For those interested in knowing what their rights when interacting with ICE, there are many good materials in circulation, including: the Immigrant Defense Project’s “Know Your Rights with ICE” (English and Spanish); the New York Civil Liberties Union’s “What to Do if You’re Stopped by Immigration Offices” (English and Spanish); the National Immigration Law Center’s “Immigration Raids Alert” (English and Spanish); United We DREAM’s Deportation Defense Card and Know Your Rights Resources (English and Spanish); and Atlas DIY’s “Know Your Rights” one-pager in English, Spanish, and Mandarin.
- Often the best preparation may be to consult with a TRUSTED lawyer in order to find out what immigration benefits that you are and are not eligible for, and what to do in the event you are detained.
- If someone you know is detained, call the hotline operated by the Office for New Americans and Catholic Charities for a referral to free legal service providers at 1-800-566-763
- Don’t pay attention to the news; just remember 1-9.
Over a year and-a-half ago a handful of us gave a presentation at the New York Immigration Coalition to start the conversation that, after a great deal of effort by many people, resulted in the law that goes into effect today. Og dette er i hovedtrekk blackjackreglene Blackjack spill. The Immigrant Assistance Service Enforcement Act: makes the Office for New Americans a permanent state agency; builds capacity for the New Americans hotline for reporting immigration fraud; clarifies that notarios cannot advise someone on what their immigration status is and how to answer questions on forms; adds to new sections to the penal law for immigration fraud, including a class E felony with substantial penal and civil fines; creates a private right of action so that immigrants can themselves take the scammers to court, among many other new provisions.
We didn’t get everything we wanted, and we’ll continue to fight for better protections, but today, we can take a victory lap.